Q & A


About Services

Are your available to chat in person?

Yes, for some areas in CT and MA by appointment. I am available for video chat for other areas.

Are you able to accept payment for service by taking it from my refund?


Is a deposit required to start service?

No. Payment is due in full prior to the start of business.

What forms of payment do you accept?

All major credit cards and bank transfers are accepted through TamaraKnowsTaxes.com.

There are times you may be invoiced for service. All major credit cards and bank transfers are accepted through the invoice.

Do you need to see my business receipts in order for you to file my tax return.

No. However, I do need the totals by category.

Do I need to have my business receipts organized in order for you to file my tax return?

Yes. However, I do not need to see them. I will only need the total for each category including income.

Can you organize my business receipts?

Yes. You can hire Tamara Knows Taxes for monthly bookkeeping (while the service is available). The organization of more than two months at a time is not available.

What is bookkeeping?

Bookkeeping is the organization of transactions that include purchases, sales, receipts and payments by an individual person or an organization/corporation.

Do you offer bookkeeping?

If bookkeeping is available it will be listed under the business category under services

Where can I find my secure documents?

After setting up your username and password, you can find your secure documents here.

How do I add users to my Paypal?


How do I add users to my Square Account?


How do I add users to Wave?


How do I add users to Quickbooks?


General Questions

Where is my refund?

You can get the status of your refund by visiting the IRS website, Where’s My Refund section. You will need your Social Security Number, Your Filing Status, and Your exact refund amount.

Where can I find the refund or owed amount on my tax return?

The refund amount can be found on the 1040, page 2, line 34

The owed amount can be found on the 1040, page 2, line 37

Why is the refund amount on my return different from the amount deposited?

You can contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service for a possible offset at 1-800-304-3107. For more information click this link to the IRS.

How do I estimate the amount of taxes to withhold?

Use the IRS’s Tax Withholding Estimator to estimate the amount of tax you should withhold from your total income. You will need your Filing Status, you Total Income from all eligible income, and any Credits/Deductions you expect to claim on your tax return.

How much Self Employment do I pay?

15.3% of your Net Income.

How do I pay taxes I owe to the IRS?

Visit the IRS payment center.

Can I set up a payment plan with the IRS?

Yes. You can apply online for a payment plan.

What business expenses can I claim on my tax return?

You can claim the majority of business expenses on your Schedule C tax return. However, you need to know the deduction it falls under as well as the correct schedule (if not the Schedule C). The Small Business Deduction Index has almost 200 expenses and it’s eligible deduction to be used with your bookkeeping and taxes.